Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Thanks For Nothing.


We're shooting on location in a tiny little house somewhere in the Valley. I'm on set, camped out in the kitchen next to a light all day while they cover scenes in the living room. Other than the occasional tweak, it's been a pretty chill afternoon, but I begin to get a bit restless. I'm also a bit thirsty, kinda hungry, and have to pee.

So I chalk it up to good timing when a co-worker comes into the kitchen offering to man my post for a bit while I get some fresh air. "That'd be fantastic," I say as I get up off my apple box, "I needed a break."

But no sooner had I began to fix myself a peanut butter and jelly sandwich over at crafty when I hear the call over the walkie from the Gaffer, "Hey A.J. Pan your light to the left a bit."

I continue to spread peanut butter on the bread, keeping my ear open for my co-worker's reply that he's got it covered... Only the "copy" never comes.

"Shit..." I think to myself as I drop my un-assembled snack back on the table. I hustle my way over to the other side of the house as quickly as possible, slide into the back door by the kitchen, and bang my leg into the counter in the process. That's definitely going to leave a bruise.

I pan the lamp left. "How's that?" I radio to the Gaffer. "Yeah, that's good. Thank you."

As I rub the bump on my leg, I look around for my colleague who's supposed to be covering for me on set. I finally spot him standing next to the Gaffer in the living room, cracking jokes.

Yeah, thanks for covering for me, Jackass.

4 comments :

Niall said...

Over time too many of those balks will catch up. Don't worry, karma's a bitch with a very long memory. I doubt you'll hire him the next time you best boy for somebody.

I've been burned so many times by crap like that. But mostly by interns and green horns. Be he new?

Michael Taylor said...

I never cease to be amazed at how often this kind of thing happens -- as if the Great God of Hollywood really is watching, just waiting for a vulnerable moment to make us look bad. It's almost enough to give a juicer religion.

Almost...

Nathan said...

But just think how much more inclined you are now to return the favor!

:D

A.J. said...

Niall - Saddly, no. He was a regular of the Best Boy's and definitely not a newbie. I hope you're right about the karma!

Michael - It's the story of my life... :)

Nathan - As much as I'd like to do some payback, I have a feeling that the second I do, he's going to do what I should've done: radio to the Gaffer that so-and-so is supposed to be covering for me. :/

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License .