Tuesday, October 28, 2008

I'd Call This My "New Year's Resolutions" But It's Too Late/Early For That.

It's not a big secret that I have a bunch of free time on my hands these days. But I'm also in that weird place where I feel like there's all this stuff I'm supposed to be doing and yet a good chunk of my day is spent wandering aimlessly between blogs.

Maybe I'm not motivated enough. Maybe I'm lazy. Or maybe I just don't know where to begin. Either way, I think that's all going to change. Starting now, here are my Must Do's:

- Read. I don't have as large of a book collection as I once had, but I do have a nice stack of books I've bought over the months, but have yet to touch. And we're talking best sellers and Oprah recommended titles here. Not to mention a growing stack of magazines. I currently have three subscriptions and am at least a month behind on all of them. I even have a handful of unread Entertainment Weekly issues that date back to almost a year ago when my subscription expired. Shameful, I know. I used to be able to plow through at least a book a day in my younger years. Now my goal is to get through two a week. (We're starting small here people.)

- Home maintenance. Namely, clean and get things organized. I rarely have people over since it's kind of embarrassing how messy everything is. Half completed decorating projects litter the walls, piles of crap on the floor, and hardly a bare surface in sight. I even still have a box or two that I haven't unpacked despite living here for over two years! Usually, I get possessed every couple months or so and start to do some sort of major overhaul, but that usually loses steam and before you know it, things are back to normal. Hopefully, I'll be able to reclaim my kitchen table from old mail and dead chia pets. I plan on tackling one problem area a day.

- Work on work.
Or rather, getting work. Once a day, I will do something that may help my career. Be it shooting a quick e-mail to a former boss or co-worker for any job leads, or just applying to a listing on a production site. And if there really is no work for me out there, I will spend my time bettering myself so when the next gig does come around, I will kick ass. This means looking into taking a couple of classes and/or reading books on my trade.

- Get out more. I'm living in one of the most famous cities in the world, and have been for a couple of years. And yet, I have no idea where almost anything is. Even tourists can probably navigate between landmarks better than me. So at least once a month, I will go to some place I've never been. Be it a park, a museum, a farmer's market or even a swap meet, I will see what this city has to offer. Hopefully, I'll be inspired enough to make it more than a monthly ritual, but right now, I'm on a tight budget (see above) so this is highly dependent on things like museum free days and gas prices.

There's probably a lot more stuff I could add to the list, but I don't want to feel overwhelmed by something that's supposed to inspire me. I think this is a good place to start. Day one starts tomorrow. Wish me luck.

2 comments :

Angry Asian said...

good luck! what a great list.

Hugo Fuchs said...

I reccomend This Link.

I'm still cleaning and catching up on reading and watching things. Maybe I'll add a 'go somewhere' in there.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License .