Monday, October 14, 2019

Act Like You've Been Here Before.


"YES!!! It works!"
I was wiring up some fixtures on a job and this particular part was being a pain in the ass. After some struggling, we finally got it lit up and not only that, but it looked pretty cool. The Art Department on this job had some fun ideas going.

"Come on, A.J. Act like you've been here before," chided my boss.
"What?"
"Act like you've done this before. This isn't your first time doing fixtures. Be cool," he said, shaking his head and moving on to the next item on our list.

I chuckled to myself, gathered up my tools, and followed after him. Little did he know, I was going to be excited about getting the next challenging piece to light up. And the one after that. ...And the one after that.

Because honestly, the day I stop being excited about this stuff is the day I should stop doing it.


1 comment :

Michael Taylor said...

Your boss was parroting a line made famous by "Bear" Bryant, legendary coach of Alabama's football team way back in the last century. He advised his running backs and receivers to "act like you've been there before" if and when they managed to make it into the end zone for a touchdown. Apparently he didn't think much of all the end zone dances and assorted celebratory gymnastics performed by players immediately after they scored. I don't pay much attention to football anymore, but have always agreed with Bryant on this -- probably the only thing he and I would see eye-to-eye on...

But hey, never lose your enthusiasm for the work. Once the thrill is gone, it becomes just another job, and a rather grueling one at that.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License .