Sunday, September 13, 2015

Fork In The Road.




I came upon a fork in the road. One led to a steady position as a lamp operator on a very well known show, while the other led to a higher position on a lesser known show.

I stood for the longest time at the damn fork, not knowing which path to take. One would lend a better job title to my resume while the other held a show name anyone would recognize whether they watched it or not.

The lamp op position held the possibility of advancement. But just a possibility. Not a guarantee. And nothing official as I'd only be covering for this person or that person for whatever reason until their absence become more permanent. In other words, I'd be the understudy of the department, ready to step in whenever needed. And I'd be working under familiar people who I respect on a creatively fascinating show.

The Best Boy position on the other path is one I've done before. And while I loved loved loved the job and the relief it gave my back from lifting coils of cable, I could've gotten along better with my boss, who rarely ever saw eye to eye with me on how to run things, making everything that much more difficult. There was a battle every day.

So which path do I chose?

The one with the lower job title on a prestigious show with good people?

Or the one that leads to a smaller show with a higher job title and a boss I don't necessarily like?

I'm standing at this crossroads, not knowing which path to take. I know I need to pick one soon and start my next journey, but I still have some time before the sun goes down. So for now, I think I'll stand here, staring at my choices, just a bit longer...


4 comments :

Michael Taylor said...

I'd take the job with the people you like, but that's just me -- and with one foot on a banana peel and the other in the grave, I've reached a point at which I have no ambitions whatsoever regarding the business. You're still on the way up, and have to factor that in. Still, working for assholes is miserable. I would never recommend that unless the job is short-term and has a real possibility of advancing your career one way or another.

Good luck making that call...

LD said...

Sister j to sister j - that's a tough one. How bad do you not necessarily like the boss you'd be besting for? If it's something you can get past with each other, sure, I'd say try and find something you enjoy about them and have fun doing that position, cause that step should be a blast. Is it a they're-a-hardass -to-you thing? Cause maybe they actually like you and your work, if they're asking you to take that on. And do you mean your gaffer, your dp, or your director? Not to call anyone out on your blog. It may be hard if it's the gaffer, but it could be a chance to make it good with them too. Does that make me some nutty optimist? Hah sheesh. I wish you the best, rad to find you on here.

JD said...

Take the lamp operator spot, ride it out for a while, see where it leads. Your not signing a employment contract stipulating a term of service, if you don't like it you can look for other work while still employed. Best time to look for a job is when you've got one.

Emilio Mejia said...

So, which one did you pick?

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License .