Monday, November 8, 2010

Huh? What Day Is It?


What day is it? I have no idea. I haven't known for a while now. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday? Who knows?

I've been losing track of the days of the week recently. I've been working so much that I can't remember what happened last week and if you asked me about a show I was on last month, I would tell you that I could've sworn all that happened at least a few months ago.

Whatever little grasp of time I had left was lost among the show hopping, long days and irregular call times of the past few months.

All I know is that today I'm on "Show A" and call time is 6am in the Valley; tomorrow, I'm on "Show B" with a 6am call Downtown and the day after that, it's "Show C" in a location TBD, but call will probably be around 5pm... Which means I probably won't get off work until at least 5am the next morning, screwing me up for whatever show I'm on next.

And Saturday? Sunday? Weekends? They have no meaning to me anymore. I work on those days too.

If you were to ask me what day of the week it is, you might as well have asked me to solve for X if Train A was leaving the station going 60 miles an hour while Train B was headed for Chicago: you'll get a confused and frustrated look.

The good thing is that I have at least been pretty good at keeping track of what day of the month it is. That, I need to know every time I fill out a new deal memo/W-4/I-9/time card/invoice. But even that sometimes will catch me off guard, because holy shit, it's November already??

6 comments :

Nathan said...

I know exactly what day it is. It's the day I was supposed to have off.

That's why security woke me up at 5:40 a.m. to let me know our tent was blowing across the parking lot and threatening to land on the honeywagon!

I love my job.

A.J. said...

Nathan - Awesome. What did he want you to do about it at 5:40am?

Nathan said...

I kinda had the same reaction.

But I DID go to location and throw a bunch of heavy objects on it so it would stay put until the tent company could show up.

Then I promptly made a note to put in for a 7th day!

Bwahahahaha.

Anonymous said...

A.J.,
I know exactly what that's like. I have been sorely tempted to buy one of those "clocks" that only shows the day of the week.
My call on Monday was 2pm. After we arrived on site, the production elec. told us that the call was pushed back until 8pm. We went home and returned to work until 4am. (yes, we got our mini.) next day was 6pm 'til 2am. Off Wednesday, Tonight will be 8pm until? Working on a touring show of dancing horses, so everything is on or in dirt/mud.
What, and give up show biz?
Leepo

A.J. said...

Nathan - I can't help but picture you in footie pajamas, complete with a night cap on, grumbling at 5:40 in the morning while pushing around big rocks and trashcans towards a tent in high winds. Please please please tell me that's what happened... :)

Anonymous - They make "clocks" like that?? Where can I get one??

Nathan said...

They were footie BIG BOY pants. And propane tanks.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License .