Wednesday, June 23, 2010

It's Like Talking To A Wall...

Producer: We really want you on this project, but we don't have the budget to pay you...
Me: Oh. Okay. Well, let's see if we can work something out. First off, what are the dates?
Producer: Next month from the __ thru the __.
Me: Oh... Sorry. No can do. I'm already booked on another job those days.
Producer: But we really want you on this project.
Me: Yeah, I understand that and I'm really flattered, but I have bills to pay, you know? The only way I can work with you guys on those dates is if you paid me.
Producer: What's the lowest you can go for us?
Me: (I give them a rate that's actually waaay lower than what I'm getting on the other shoot.)
Producer: .... I don't think we can afford to pay you that.
Me: I'm sorry then. But thanks for thinking of me and feel free to give me a call for the next one.
Producer: But... we really want you on this one.

Um... Then pay me??

6 comments :

Nathan said...

But it's an awfully nice wall.

Niall said...

Well st least they seemed to have stayed some what civil about the matter. I've had few people blow their stack at the mere mention of pay or even the thought of some kind of compensation for me and my kit.

There's the right way, the wrong way, and the way we do it in film.

ed "sloweddi" said...

You should have high balled them. So next time when they have money, you could ask for a little more than your going rate and they think they got a deal :)

A.J. said...

Nathan - True. Maybe a little dense and probably entitled, but seemingly nice.

Niall - Luckily, I can't say I remember anyone losing it when I mention money. But there are plenty of people who I haven't heard from since!

Ed - I think the flaw in that plan is the "next time when they have money" part. :)

JD said...

Why should "they", ever pay you or anyone? In their mind, there is always a new crop of techs., gaffers, grips, artists, etc., to harvest from. Why not take advantage of these people while offering an un-paralleled opportunity for exposure, networking, future paying work, good karma, meals, copy, etc.??

A.J. said...

JD - "They" should pay me if they want me. Especially if they want me to leave an already paying job. Yes, there's always someone out there who they have yet to meet who'll do the job for free, but they know who I am, what skills I have, and more importantly, they know that I'll do the job right.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License .